"Radiant Pinecone" Yoga Mat
Here's a list of the questions we frequently get asked about our mats:
Is the mat grippy in both wet and dry conditions?
Yes. The mats are incredibly grippy. We worked for years to develop our unique mat surface and it's a level of grip that will work in any environment. Please note that you should not use essential oils to clean your mat - they will not damage the surface, but the oil that stays on the mat will create a thin oil-slick that will lesson the grip.
Is the surface of the mat fabric or suede?
No! We realize most mats with an image on them are, but our mats are very different. The surface is a supple, grippy, and rubbery feel that is made of organic compounds. The image is printed on a layer of fabric that is encased below the surface of our mats.
How does the mat stand up to sun exposure and an outdoor environment?
We have had mats in outdoor use for years with no appreciable signs of fading. The organic material that makes up the surface is UV proof and therefore does not breakdown in sunlight.
What can I expect in terms of durability?
We have yoga instructors that helped us develop this product in 2016 who are still using the first mats we made for them. To date, we have not had a mat wear our or need to be replaced because of wear and tear.
Is the padding adequate for those with boney joints or dealing with injuries?
Yes, the surface material of the mat and the rubber layer underneath work together to distribute weight and provide great cushion. It's got plenty of cushioning, so you can do any pose with a hardwood floor under the mat.
Does the grip lessen over time?
The surface will become less tacky (sticky feeling) after a couple wipe-downs, but the grip is not diminished as this happens. We have mats that have been used in hot yoga for years now.
Is there a smell when the mat arrives and, if so, does it fade quickly?
Our mats have a very slight smell at first that is a somewhat sweet and earthy smell, but it's not an offensive odor and can only be detected when right up against the surface. This will diminish quickly.
Are all materials used non-toxic?
Our technology is protected by trade secret, so we cannot go into too much detail. But the material of the mat is entirely made from organic compounds and the components of it are LEED certified. They are all non-toxic.
What sort of packaging does the mat come in?
The mats currently ship in a plastic newspaper bag to prevent them from getting dirty if the box that the mat ships in is damaged in transit.
Does it attract dust/dirt?
Unfortunately yes - grippy, supple surfaces like our mats will allow dirt to stick to it. Thankfully the mats are really easy to wash - wiping down with an organic cleaner or spraying off with a hose will get the surface cleaned right off.
Any other questions? Just email us! Service@mettamats.com
-Made-by-hand in Philadelphia - Ships in 3-5 business days
-Our mats are the most vibrant artwork available on a yoga mat.
-Unique, proprietary surface grips in all environments, dry or sweaty.
-25% of each sale goes to the artist whose artwork is featured on the mat.
-5 lbs; 72” long; 26.25” wide; 3.5 mm thick.
- The mat surface has a grippy, canvas-like texture - our proprietary blend of glycol, polypropylene, and silica - all recognized as safe materials. The durable and translucent surface protects and accentuates the details of the artwork on the mat.
- The mat's base is made from high-density natural tree rubber
- 5 lbs; 72” long; 26.25” wide; 3.5 mm thick
- Completely free of any PVC or any other toxic materials
- Sustainability: The mats are very durable and last through years of consistent use. Longevity is a very important factor in assessing environmental impact.
- Grip: Our mats are made to grip when both wet and dry and are great for all disciplines of yoga, including hot yoga.
- Waterproof: The mat is completely waterproof. Sweat can easily be rinsed off the mat.
- Improves With Use: Your mat will reward you with more use! The surface of the mat will get softer and grippier with more use.
- UV-Proof: The mat is UV-proof and can withstand prolonged sun exposure
- Joint Protection: The mat’s surface distributes weight to the rubber base below for proper joint protection and versatility on carpet, cement or hardwood floors.
- Easy-to-Clean: Simply wipe down with soap or vinegar or any other natural cleaning product or spray off with a hose. For more detail, please see the “Use and Care” section on our About Us Page.
- Made With Care: Every mat we made is done start to finish by us, with an artisanal dedication to quality.
How our mats are made:
We start with a base layer of 3 MM natural tree-based rubber. We print the artwork on a polymer layer using dye sublimation printing and then bond the surface of the mat using our proprietary blend of glycol (an organic material used in cosmetics and recognized as safe by the FDA) and polypropylene (a food-grade polymer that is commonly used in yoga and foodware products) and tiny, naturally-occurring silica crystals. Each mat’s surface is applied by-hand in a method we have been perfecting for years. The surface cures in sunlight after sitting overnight, creating the unique, grippy feel that our mats are known for. The final step of production is you! The surface breaks in with use and becomes even softer and grippier. Whether you have a slow, restorative practice or a fast, sweaty practice - our mats will support you and your growth.
The finished product is a vibrant, supportive mat that will last through years of practice. These mats are not like any other art-adorned mats with dull fabric surfaces, that are hard to clean and maintain over time. Our mat’s surface creates a water-proof, grippy texture while protecting and accentuating the artwork. We have been making these mats for over 5 years and have happy customers all over the world!